Available from Hilo only, this adventure is the best way to visit Waipio Valley and the famed Hamakua Coast!
Perfect if you’re booked on another in-depth volcano tour or visiting the upper areas of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with us. After a 40-minute drive, you’re escorted directly out to the lava flow. Hike less than two miles in each direction on an easy gravel road to look for current flow activity. This express volcano tour includes a picnic-style deli lunch on the lava flow.
Red molten lava cannot be guaranteed as volcanic activity changes constantly. Comfortable walking shoes required. We’re happy to accommodate special dietary needs and restrictions, including children’s meals, with advance notice. Order of itinerary may change. 24 hours’ notice required to cancel for full refund. Tour runs rain or shine.
- All guests (including children) should be able to negotiate a strenuous 4-mile hike, unassisted, which includes a high number of steep uphill and downhill sections. Guests with small children are responsible for providing their own child carriers to safely navigate the entire hike.
- State law requires child safety seats for all guests under four years of age (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice).
- Booster seats required for all guests between the ages of four and seven and under 4 ft. 9 in. tall and 80 pounds in weight (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice).
- Volcanic emissions, including sulfur gas, may affect those with respiratory concerns.
- Participants should be prepared for immediate evacuation in accordance with directions given by County, State and/or Federal officials.
Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.