There is nothing quite as spectacular as seeing red molten lava, and nobody takes you to where the action is quite like KapohoKine!
Join us as we take you on a thrilling discovery of Kilauea Volcano. We take you to the Puna District on the Big Island’s east side, our home and home to the best lava viewing locations. Enjoy a delicious picnic-style deli dinner with choice of beverage including sodas, juice, and bottled water all at our private location before setting off for the heart of the volcano.
We drive as close as we safely can before setting off on foot to find the most recent surface outbreaks and ocean entries. Watch as the black, smoking landscape changes right before your eyes as the sun sets. Skylights in the lava tube system and surface flows suddenly glow bright red as the crackle and hiss of escaping gasses and liquid rock changing to solid seems to grow louder as the lava slowly marches to the sea.
Next, we travel to the only winery on Hawaii for a wine and tea tasting tour before a delicious Hawaiian BBQ dinner. After our dinner, we enter Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to view another active crater below the Jaggar Museum. Do not forget your camera for this Hawaii volcano tour!
We provide military-grade flashlights, walking sticks, sunblock, dinner, and drinks. Please wear sturdy closed toe shoes as slippers, sandals and flip-flops will not be accepted. A light jacket, hat, long pants, and sunglasses are all highly recommended. We do our best to find molten lava on every tour, but due to the constantly changing nature of the eruption seeing molten lava cannot be guaranteed.
Participants need to be capable of walking on uneven surfaces. Our Big Island Lava Expedition volcano tour may be canceled at any time and participants should be prepared for immediate evacuation in accordance with directions given by County, State, and Federal officials on site.
Red molten lava cannot be guaranteed as volcanic activity changes constantly. Comfortable walking shoes required. We’re happy to accommodate special dietary needs and restrictions, including children’s meals, with advance notice. Order of itinerary may change. 24 hours’ notice required to cancel for full refund. Tour runs rain or shine.
- All guests (including children) should be able to negotiate a strenuous 4-mile hike, unassisted, which includes a high number of steep uphill and downhill sections. Guests with small children are responsible for providing their own child carriers to safely navigate the entire hike.
- State law requires child safety seats for all guests under four years of age (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice).
- Booster seats required for all guests between ages four and seven and under 4 ft. 9 in. tall and 80 pounds weight (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice).
- Volcanic emissions, including sulfur gas, may affect those with respiratory concerns.
- Participants should be prepared for immediate evacuation in accordance with directions given by County, State and/or Federal officials.
Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.